Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Talk: Design in Google Earth

As promised, this is a link to an movie clip version of my talk at the American Geophysical Union(AGU) last month:

In it I use as an example a Google Earth project by Mark Mulligan who designed it primarily to be used by experts rather than the public. This link opens my new version.

Tree Cover Change Tour


I've added a few tour placemarks, the idea is that users open the file, read the introduction, get shown what they can see with the data and then go on to explore themselves. I talked to Mark about using his file and he was interested in what I've done with his work. It made me look again at the huge volume of material he has produced and I found some gems that I'll be using in the near future.

Technical Notes on Talk: I produced this by recording my PowerPoint presentation with Captivate software and converting it to flash as it allows me to capture the custom animation features of my talk. If anyone knows a way to capture these features and convert to a web friendly format, I'm interested to hear how.

Presentation Points: I think the presentation works well overall, its shorter than the original and I avoid the natural hiccups that would occur if it had been recorded live. However, recording narration slide by slide leads to my voice changing within the talk and I still have to work on a way to sound less wooden.

No comments: