So I've come across office mix this week, its an add on for MS Powerpoint with a linked cloud hosting service. I've had a play and I think its a definite force to be reckoned with. It does the clever trick of combining:
- Easy audio and slides creation
- Easy written materials with links and video embed creation
- Self assessment quizzes
- Easy cloud management (no ed tech help needed!)
- good tutorials
- AND you get learner analytics
The analytics is a big plus, you can see if a certain student has accessed your mix or gone only half way through. You can also see if most students skipped a slide and see if it was good or not.
The only downsides are: -
- Functionality for students on mobile devices (tested on iPad/iPhone) is reduced a lot - you have to convert to a movie and you lose interactivity
- I’ve found it a bit ropey in places e.g. fails to upload once in a while, analytics behaving oddly at times.
Some ideas for what you could use it for:
- Recording skype tutorials for those who can't make it
- Create some screencasts of Powerpoint content and then have a quick feedback survey at the end to gauge how your students found them
- Give feedback on essays by screencasting you looking at their essay and adding ink onto their scripts
very much worth looking at.